Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ummm, I think we have a problem - Martha's Vineyard Island - Cross-Country Road Trip 2.0

We picked up some rental wheels at Logan Airport then headed down to Woods Hole, MA to catch the ferry out to Martha's Vineyard Island. My grandma grew up there and was so excited that I was going to see her hometown, she wrote me a 14 page letter listing everything I needed to see. Needless to say, we were in for another action-packed day.

We got to the ferry just in time and headed across the foggy Cape towards the Island. We arrived at Vineyard Haven and fell in love with the quaint little homes and friendly little shops. It was winter though, so unfortunately most of them were closed. We quickly learned that it was about 30 minutes until our bus arrived - which should have been our first clue - so we grabbed a quick bite.

The bus picked us up and took us to our first stop on the list, Menemsha. It's a small, picturesque fishing village on the west coast of the Island. As we got off the bus, James asked when the next pick up was, to which the driver replied "You've got the schedule, dontcha?" in a low, grumbly voice. We hopped off and about 3 minutes into exploring, I hear James announce "Ummm, I think we have a problem". The next bus wasn't coming for 2 hours, it's freezing outside and the only place that's open is a tiny gas station.

We grab hot chocolates at the station as we try and figure out the best plan. We decide to start walking the mile or so to our next destination, Chilmark, because we didn't have 2 hours to waste. Lucky for us, a nice man who had overheard us in the gas station was passing by and offered us a lift. We, of course, hopped in.

In Chilmark, we visited a small chocolate factory with some DELICIOUS chocolate. Our happiness didn't last long though, we soon learned that we were in the same predicament. Next bus to Aquinnah was in 2 hours. I'm beyond frustrated at this point because we've made 1 of 8 stops and there is no way we're going to see the entire island after all this effort to get there. On top of that, James and I had differing opinions on what to do - I wanted to start walking and hope someone would pick us up, he wanted to wait for the next bus.

We start walking but turned around when we realized how far it actually is. This island is much bigger than I thought. I was pretty upset and (embarrassing to admit now) plopped myself down on a bench to feel sorry for myself until the next bus arrived. I'm even starting to think that we should just turn around and leave Martha's Vineyard entirely. The people haven't been very helpful or friendly, then plan is not working out well and it's pretty dang cold. Just about then, I hear a voice like an angel (ok, I'm being over dramatic here) asking us if we're waiting for the bus. That's when our luck on the Island changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment