Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Excerpts from Eat Pray Love

If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's a story of a newly divorced woman figuring out who she is and what life is all about by embarking on a journey through Italy, India and Indonesia. For someone like me who loves to travel, I found myself relating to everything the main character was saying. Here are two of my favorite excerpts from the book.

"Still, despite all this, traveling is the one great true love of my life. I have always felt ever since I was sixteen years old and first went to Russia with my saved-up babysitting money, that to travel is worth any cost or sacrifice. I am loyal and constant in my love for travel, as I have not always been loyal and constant in my other loves. I feel about travel the way a happy new mother feels about her impossible, colicky, restless newborn baby - I just don't care what it puts me through. Because I adore it. Because it's mine. Because it looks exactly like me. It can barf all over me if it wants to - I just don't care."

"In the end, though, maybe we must all give up trying to pay back the people in this world who sustain our lives. In the end, maybe its wiser to surrender before the miraculous scope of human generosity and to just keep saying thank you, forever and sincerely, for as long as we have voices."

No comments:

Post a Comment