Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Boston's Freedom Trail - Cross-Country Road Trip 1.1

We woke up the next morning ready to brave the cold and see the sights of Boston via the Freedom Trail. We headed out on the "T" - I'm a big fan of public transportation systems - munching on granola I had grabbed when we left Winter Park. We also doubled up on vitamins and Airborne. Can't get sick on such an action-packed adventure!

We hopped off the "T: and Government Center and found the Freedom Trail. It's literally a line of bricks built into the sidewalk that leads you to all of the major historical sites. We saw the site of the Boston Massacre, Paul Revere's old house, the Balcony where the Declaration of Independence was first read to the public, and Bunker Hill. I climbed the 294 steps to the top of the Monument there and got a nice view of the city. Living in CA, I forget about the history of this country. It was great to see it all first-hand and get connected.













After the Freedom Trail, I was determined to see the harbor where the Boston Tea Party took Place. Why that is not included on the Trail is beyond me, maybe it's because it's halfway across town and no sane person would want to walk that far in one day? Not me though - my stubborn ways landed us at the site which now really is only a plaque on the side of a building that overlooks the river. A bit anticlimactic, (and now I understand why it isn't on the tour) but I'm still happy that we stood at the spot where our American forefathers essentially told England to kiss off. If drinking their tea meant paying their taxes, then we'd figure out a way to do it ourselves! The rebelliousness makes me smile.

1 comment: