Monday, March 2, 2009

On the brink of veganism...Thank you Skinny Bitch - Cross-Country Road Trip 7.2

Last night I started reading Skinny Bitch - a no-nonsense, tough-love guide for savvy girls who want to stop eating crap and start looking fabulous (thanks Marlene!). If you haven't heard of it, I highly suggest you check it out. It's very in-your-face, tell-it-like-it-is, humorous common sense advice on what you should and shouldn't out in your body.

For those of you who don't know, I'm an animal lover. I gave up eating pork one day about 10 years ago because I saw a video on how the pigs are killed in factories. It made me cry and I swore I would never financially support such violence again. Hypocritically, I didn't give up beef or chicken because I wanted to pretend their deaths were somehow not as cruel.

Well I'm halfway through Skinny Bitch and I'm feeling a need to address my hypocrisy. Almost an entire chapter was dedicated to publishing quotes of cruel and inhumane acts performed and/or witnessed by slaughterhouse employees. I literally felt nauseous after reading it.

It's now impossible for me to live in ignorance. Either I support the brutal mass-murders of hundreds of thousands of animals by continuing to eat them, or I take a stand and let my dollars do the talking. It's that simple. Maybe the FDA and slaughterhouse owners would eventually start listening if they saw a change in their bottom line.

No comments:

Post a Comment